- First you have to actually have a clothesline
- Before hanging clothes..use a wet cloth to wipe the line clean
- Hang clothes in a certain order: whites with whites
- I also hung like items side by side: T shirts together; socks together etc.
- Never hang a shirt or blouse by the shoulders/reason: You had obnoxious crunches and folds /they take extra time to iron smoothly.
- Wash on Monday! Never hang clothes on the weekend.
- Hand large pieces like sheets, towels and pillow cases on outside lines to hide your undies.
- Always gather your clothespins when you take in the laundry/it's totally irresponsible to leave those pins on the line in the weather.
- If you do it right one clothes pin will neatly and efficiently hold two items together.
- Clothes should be taken in before dinner[folding as you removed] ready to be ironed.
Once when a group of ladies from a garden club in nearby Jasper, Tx, came for a tour of "The Old Barn" and our farmhouse & lunch one of the ladies asked me: "Is that your laundry on the clothes line or is it just for show?"
I replied: "Both. We do use the clothes line but I made sure there was laundry hanging for your visit, knowing that it had likely been many years since you had used a clothesline."
They appreciated the show!
Note: These rules are a mix of my own thoughts and experiences along with those passed around by friends in emails.